The Platinum Match (initially labeled "?????") is a secret match at Olympus Coliseum in the North American, PAL, and Final Mix versions of Kingdom Hearts. The match is actually a fight pitting Sora against Sephiroth, the final boss from Final Fantasy VII.
Why It Sucks
- This cup has only one opponent, Sephiroth, the main antagonist of Final Fantasy VII, and Sora must fight him by himself.
- Sephiroth's attacks can easily kill you in a few hits. His blade can kill you in three hits even if you are around level 50, and his attack 'Heartless Angel' can instantly kill you unless you don't stop him in time or have Last Chance (by which it reduces your HP to 1 and MP to 0). The attack Meteor can even make the game lag.
- His initial health is significantly higher than the maximum of five health bars that will be shown by Sora's Scan ability, which means that at the beginning of the battle your attacks seemingly don't do any damage.
- Since before you compete in this cup, it's labeled "?????", it is easy to enter this battle by accident.
- His battle music is good and it's very fitting.
- The fire pillar attack doesn't attract you towards him, unlike Kingdom Hearts II.
- Square eventually learned from his errors and made Sephiroth a bit easier in Kingdom Hearts 2.
- Defeating him in Kingdom Hearts 2 gives you the Keyblade Fenrir, which allows you to pull off the Negative Combo exploit.
- Don't try to beat Sephiroth before level 70. To be on the safe side, reach level 100 and craft the Ultima Weapon, the strongest weapon in the game.
- Remove all Combo Plus abilities and the Vortex ability to not make a combo too long. If you hit him more than three times with a single combo he'll attack by teleporting near you. If you're fighting him in Kingdom Hearts II, activate all your Combo+ abilities and equip the Keyblade Pumpkinhead to maximize damage.
- Stock up on Elixirs to nullify his Heartless Angel attack.
- If you're fighting him in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, be sure to not confuse Air Slide with Dodge Roll, since they are mapped to the same button. Keep in mind that Air Slide requires you to hold down the button, while Dodge Roll requires you only to press and release it.
- It's possible to easily beat this boss by spamming Strike Raid and Ars Arcanum to beat this boss in three minutes and a half.