The Drop System is a game mechanic of Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. The game mechanic is used to allow the player to switch control between Sora and Riku, allowing each to progress independently through the game. The player will drop into the next character once the Drop Gauge is depleted, or they can drop manually by tapping the "Drop" button that appears on the World Map, in the main menu, in the pause menu or at a Save Point.
Why It Sucks
- The Drop System is basically a time limit ticking down to drop you back to the other character, either Sora or Riku. Then, if you want to go back you need to drop the other character back in manually.
- You can still be dropped out if you're in a boss fight. If you're dropped out of a boss fight you have to switch back to the other character, and when you do the boss fight again the boss is at full health! You have to redo the boss fight just because a time limit expired and dropped you out of the game. That's sadistic.
- You're able to manually drop whenever you like, so why have a time limit when you can drop whenever you want?!
- After being dropped out you can purchase abilities and items using "Drop Points" earned during the drop.
- Near the end of the game (Not post game unfortunately,) the drop system is disabled, allowing you to go back and find treasure chests, grind, or even fool around in the other worlds.